Here’s what you need to know about squash juice. The step-by-step recipe with milk or water, its benefits and some key tips.
Do you want to try it?
Where do we start?
Tools / Equipment
- A blender.
- A knife.
- Steamer and / or strainer and pot.
- Your favorite large glass or cup.
- 1 cup of steamed / boiled winter squash or round squash (pumpkin) without peel and seeds.
- 1 cup of water or milk.
Recipe: Squash juice with milk or water
Just follow these steps:
- First, cook the squash (it’s important not to eat it raw). To do this, cut a cup-sized portion, peel it carefully with a knife, remove the seeds and boil it in a pot full of water for about 20 minutes or until it’s tender. Alternatively, you can steam it (with a steamer). The cooking time is similar.
- When the above is ready, strain the squash, wait for it to cool a little and blend it with 1 cup of water or milk for about 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Finally, serve the result in a cup or glass.
What’re the benefits of squash juice?
Among the main benefits of squashes (winter and round pumpkin) we can highlight the following:
- They’ve a lot of water (more than 88%) and fiber (more than 1 g per 100 g). Therefore, they may boost digestive health and relieve constipation.
- In addition, they include plenty of beta-carotene and other antioxidants that help against oxidative damage generated by free radicals. In this sense, they may contribute to overall health.
- Their combination of antioxidants, potassium, water and fiber may help prevent some circulatory system conditions.
- Also, they’ve relatively low calories (less than 38 kcal per 100 g).
- These fruits contain vitamin A, among other key substances. You can see more squash nutrients here:
Finally, if you prepare the drink with milk instead of water, you’ll be adding some extra calories. This may be useful for those looking to gain weight.
To note: Whole milk has about 146 kcal per cup.
Is pumpkin juice good for the legs?
As we said before, this food may promote blood circulation (including that of the legs).
Anyway, remember not to overconsume this fruit or its juice. Also, follow healthy habits and a diet that’s right for your body and goals. For example, physical exercise is essential for overall health.
Do you want to learn more? Visit our post on juices for circulation.
Does squash juice work to lose weight?
In short, it may work.
If it’s made with milk, it has 195 to 229 kcal, approximately. And if it’s done with water, around 49 to 83 kcal. Meaning, if you want to reach a caloric deficit (burn more calories than you eat), you may prefer to make your juice with water instead of milk. However, it’s key to consider all the calories in your diet. To learn more, visit our post on juices for weight loss.
On the other hand, the fiber and water in this juice may help satiate hunger and lose a few pounds / kilos in the bathroom.