Grapefruit juice is intensely flavored, delicious and easy to prepare. Here you’ll find how to make it, its benefits and more.
Best of all, the recipe only takes a few minutes!
Where do we start?
- A cup.
- A knife.
- Citrus squeezer or blender (optional).
- Vegetable peeler (optional).
Here’re the ingredients and quantities:
- 1 large pink grapefruit.
- 1 cup of water.
Grapefruit juice – Recipes
There’re 2 easy ways to prepare this drink:
Cut the grapefruit in half, extract the juice with a citrus squeezer or by hand and serve ensuring that there’re no seeds left in the liquid. Then, add the water and stir.
If you want to take advantage of its fiber, you can peel the grapefruit with a knife or vegetable peeler (make sure there’re no visible white parts from the peel), cut it into pieces, remove the seeds and blend it with a cup of water.
To keep in mind: Always add water to get a milder flavor..
What’s grapefruit juice good for? – Main benefits
It’s key to mention the following about this drink:
- It’s rich in potassium (about 400 mg per cup), water (90%) and antioxidants (such as vitamin C). Also, if you make it with a blender, it includes some fiber. This combination of nutrients may help prevent cardiovascular problems. To learn more, visit our section on juices for circulation.
- Its powerful antioxidants fight free radicals. In this sense, it’s potentially useful for those seeking to boost their defenses and promote overall health.
- 1 cup (247 g) of chopped grapefruit has about 96 kcal, so it may work in diets to lose weight. In any case, remember not to overeat this fruit and follow a healthy eating plan.
- According to experts, this fruit has a low glycemic index, so it may help prevent spikes (large and sudden increases) in blood sugar levels.
- Finally, grapefruit is high in vitamin A (especially if it’s the pink one) and other key substances for the body. You can see the main nutrients of grapefruit juices here: Pink / White.
What’re the benefits of grapefruit juice on an empty stomach?
In addition to the above, drinking this juice in the morning on an empty stomach may help to “wake up” the organs and satiate hunger without overeating or suffering glucose spikes.
Risks and drawbacks
This fruit may negatively interact with various medications. There’s more information in this article from the US Food and Drug Administration. In case of taking any drug, remember to consult a qualified health care professional before consuming this juice.
On the other hand, its excessive intake could cause digestive problems, among others.
To see all our recipes with grapefruit, click here.