Juices for diarrhea may help restore fluids and electrolytes (electrically charged minerals). But it’s key to understand a few things.
Simply put, diarrhea is a condition that causes loose, watery and, in many cases, frequent stools. This is usually caused by viruses, bacteria, parasites, medications, lactose intolerance or digestive disorders, among other causes.
Usually, the problem disappears in a few days or sooner. Although, in some cases, it may require specific treatments such as:
- Antibiotics or antidiarrheals.
- Fluid replenishment: By ingestion or intravenously.
- Treat other possible conditions that may cause diarrhea: For example, an intestinal disease.
Anyway, after a diarrhea episode, it’s important to restore the lost nutrients. Therefore, here’re some light and nutritious juice recipes that may help you with this.
Also, later we’ll tell you some details about what the experts say and key tips to keep in mind.
Where do we start?
Juices for diarrhea – Easy Recipes / Preparations
First, it’s important to point out a few things:
- Juices should be drunk as soon as they’re prepared.
- Before each recipe, wash hands, utensils, appliances and the fruits / vegetables to be used thoroughly.
- For more liquid juices, you can add a little water.
- Finally, you can try a different juice every morning and see how you feel.
Let’s start with the recipes!
Juices for diarrhea: about the ingredients
It’s worth highlighting a few points:
- To improve symptoms, some specialists recommend following a soft / bland diet based on bananas, toast, oatmeal, white rice, applesauce and soup (or broth).
- Additionally, they advise that patients drink diluted fruit juices.
- On the other hand, they suggest that low-fiber foods may help make stool more solid.
- Finally, and as we said before, this condition causes a loss of water and electrolytes (sodium, chloride, potassium and bicarbonate). Therefore, it’s essential to restore these nutrients in order to avoid dehydration and put health at risk.
With this in mind, our juice recipes for diarrhea include little fiber and lots of water, potassium and other nutrients. Therefore, they may work on a proper diet.
Please note: If you’re interested, you can see the nutritional values of foods at FoodData Central.
Other important tips
Finally, here are some other recommendations that may help solve the problem:
- Avoid dehydration: To treat dehydration, WHO recommends using a solution of clean water, salt and sugar.
- When you feel better, start eating healthy / nutrient-dense food.
- Consider other supplements, remedies or treatments: Consult your doctor for the best option for your case. Especially if the diarrhea persists.
Juices for diarrhea: More information to keep in mind
If you’ve allergy symptoms or discomfort after consuming any of the drinks or foods in this article, you should stop doing so and visit your doctor.
Our opinions don’t replace those of a qualified healthcare professional.
You can subscribe here to receive updates.