Do you want to make a delicious lettuce juice? If so, you’re in the right place. Here’s its recipe, benefits and what you need to know.
Where do we start?
- A blender or juicer.
- A cup or glass.
- 1 cup of romaine or iceberg lettuce.
- If using a blender: 1 cup of water.
Lettuce juice | 3-Step recipe
These’re the 3 steps:
- First, wash the plant leaf by leaf until it’s clean. Remember that vegetables usually contain many microbes.
- Then, cut and process the lettuce with a blender or juice extractor. If using a blender, add 1 cup of water.
- Finally, pour the result into a large glass or cup.
Note: You can add water to taste to the final result.
What’s lettuce juice good for? – Main benefits
First, romaine lettuce has slightly more fiber and potassium than iceberg lettuce.
Considering this, it’s key to highlight the following about romaine lettuce:
- Its fiber (2.1 g per 100 g) and water (94.6%) may promote body cleansing and digestive health. Learn more in our post on juices for constipation.
- This plant has a lot of potassium (about 247 mg per 100 g), which helps muscle functioning, among other functions. You can learn more in our post on juices to increase potassium.
- Its combination of water, fiber, antioxidants and potassium may prevent circulation problems and improve overall health.
- Finally, it has other key substances such as vitamin A and folate (possibly useful for those seeking to boost defenses). There’s a list of romaine lettuce nutrients here.
Does lettuce juice work for sleep?
Romaine lettuce contains substances, called lactucin and lactucopicrin, which were successful in promoting sleep in rodents in a 2019 study.
On the other hand, according to a 2017 study, some antioxidants in this food may protect against oxidative stress caused by lack of sleep.
With this in mind, this vegetable and its juice could promote sleep in humans. However, there’s not enough evidence to affirm it.
Is lettuce juice useful for weight loss?
100 g of romaine lettuce have about 17 kcal. Therefore, it may help achieve a caloric deficit (burning more calories than you eat).
Anyway, remember not to overeat this food and follow a healthy and proper diet for your body.
If you want to learn more, visit our section on juices to lose weight.
On the other hand, as we said before, this plant has a lot of fiber and water. Therefore, it may promote bowel movements and body cleansing. That is, help to lose some weight in the bathroom.
To keep in mind
Although it’s many benefits, we don’t recommend overeating this vegetable. Too much lettuce could cause digestive problems, among others.
To see all our recipes with lettuce, click here.