Here’s what you need to know about broccoli juice. The recipe, what it’s good for, risks and more.
This drink has an intense flavor, but is quite nutritious. We recommend you to read to the end.
Would you like to surprise your loved ones with this juice?
Where do we start?
- Blender or juice extractor / juicer.
- A knife.
- A large glass or cup.
- Optional: a strainer.
- 1 cup of broccoli without stems and leaves.
- If using a blender: 1 cup of water.
Broccoli juice – Recipe
This recipe’s quite simple.
- Start by removing the stems and leaves from the broccoli. Then, cut it into pieces to make it easier to rinse and process.
- Wash all the pieces. You’d be surprised how many germs and dirt may hide in this vegetable.
- Then, put the food in the blender cup with a cup of water and process everything until there are no large lumps. Instead, you can use an extractor to obtain a more liquid drink. To keep in mind: you can precook the broccoli by steaming or boiling it to make it easier to digest, but remember that this takes away some nutrients from the food.
- Serve the drink in your favorite cup.
Note: You can add water to taste to the final result.
What’s broccoli juice good for? – Properties / Benefits
Among its main benefits, it’s important to highlight the following:
- Broccoli’s loaded with water (89%) and fiber (2.6 g per 100 g). So it may help prevent some diseases and improve digestive health. To learn more, visit our post on juices for constipation.
- This plant has a decent potassium content (316 mg per 100 g). In this sense, it may be beneficial for those seeking to increase the levels of this mineral.
- Its combination of water, fiber, potassium and antioxidants (such as vitamin C, polyphenols and carotenoids) may help prevent circulation problems.
- On the other hand, its water, antioxidants, vitamin A and other substances may contribute to boost the body’s defenses.
- 1 cup (91 g) of chopped broccoli includes only about 31 kcal, so it may also work in weight loss diets.
- Finally, broccoli is rich in other minerals and vitamins such as vitamin K, iron and vitamin B9 (folate). You can see its main nutrients here.
Does broccoli juice help against Helicobacter pylori?
This bacterium is known to be the main cause of gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining).
With this in mind, broccoli has antioxidants that may help fight this bacterium. On the other hand, its fiber may promote digestion and reduce reflux symptoms.
To learn more, visit our post on juices for gastritis.
Risks / Drawbacks of broccoli juice
Its regular consumption may cause thyroid problems, interactions with anticoagulants (due to its vitamin K1) and, in some cases, allergies.
Excessive intake could cause digestive problems, among others.
Although it’s many benefits, remember not to overconsume this food or its juice.
To see all our recipes with broccoli, click here.