Here’s how to make a delicious tamarind juice in minutes. Also, its benefits, how many calories it has and what you need to know.
This fruit has a sweet and sour flavor and is consumed in different parts of the world such as: Colombia, Mexico and Puerto Rico.
Do you want to prepare the drink? Best of all, it doesn’t require a blender or juicer.
Where do we start?
- A small pot.
- Strainer or filter.
- Spoon or potato masher.
- Your favorite cup.
- 5 whole and large tamarinds.
- About a cup and a half (375 ml) of water.
- Optional: 2 ice cubes.
Recipe: Tamarind juice / water in 3 steps
The recipe’s quite easy.
- Remove the shells from the tamarinds with your hands, put them in a small pot filled with water and heat everything until it boils for about 2 minutes or the pulp is soft / cooked. At this point, turn off the heat and wait 15 more minutes for the food to cool down. To keep in mind: Alternatively, if you want to make better use of the pulp nutrients (some are lost when cooking), you can omit the above and soak the shelled tamarinds for about 8 hours or overnight.
- Next, filter the juice to avoid the seeds. This is done by putting it all in a strainer / filter and pressing the pulp with a spoon or potato masher to extract as much liquid as possible. Here you can add a little more water over the solids in the strainer and continue filtering the available liquid.
- Serve, add some ice and enjoy!
Now you can surprise your loved ones with this great recipe.
How many calories does tamarind juice contain?
If we consider that the pulp of each tamarind fruit has about 4.78 kcal, a cup of this drink includes about 23.9 kcal.
Remember that if you also add sugar, you’ll be increasing the number of calories.
What’s tamarind juice good for? – Main benefits
According to specialists, it may cause a number of positive effects. Here’re some to highlight.
- Protect the body against free radicals that generate oxidative stress. Essentially, this helps prevent diseases and is achieved by its antioxidants (such as polyphenols and flavonoids).
- Defend the organism against certain microbes. Largely due to its polyphenols.
- Lower cholesterol and improve circulation.
- Reduce inflammation.
Can tamarind juice help sleep?
According to experts, this fruit may help sleep due to its magnesium. In addition, it favors the regulation of metabolism, which helps prevent insomnia or difficulty falling asleep.